In previous article of Oracle HRMS Overview series, i had talked about catalog objects at high level. In this article we shall discuss in details about Learning Path, Learning Certification, Forums and Chats and Web Conferences. If you are not familiar with OLM catalog objects, you can make yourself familiarize from following articles.
What is a Learning Path ?
There are situations when a learner can plan to have a learning strategy which comprises of more than once courses. For example, An IT Professional want to do a PMP as well as Data Warehousing course. Both these course do not have any relation but for a learner, it might be relevant. In such situation, Learner can create Learning Path for him to create a group of courses which he wants to attend. Such groups are called sections in OLM. A Learning path can have one or more sections.
Learning Path does not allow duplication of courses. It is simply a container for a logical grouping of existing courses, with some added attributes at the learning path level.
As per Oracle we can define it as Learning Path is a catalog object
catalog object that contains one or more virtual groups of courses(sections), helping learners achieve learning goals that a single course cannot address is called a Learning Plan
Creation of Learning paths in OLM (Oracle Learning Management)
Any Learner or his manager has authority to create individual learning paths in OLM. As these learning paths are based on specific need of individual , therefore they are not reflected in the catalog. Learner-created paths receive a source type of Learner, and manager-created paths receive a source type of Manager.
Creation of Learning paths in OPM (Oracle Performance Management)
At the time of making appraisal, Appraisers and managers can create learning paths from Performance Management. If you have following modules in place SSHR, Performance Management and OLM then appraisers and managers using the Suitability Matching or Appraisals modules can recommend courses for their employees to take. These courses become part of a learning path automatically created for the learner, and do not appear in the catalog. Source type for such learning path is Performance Management.
Properties of Learning Path
- It does not allow duplication of courses
- Courses can be identified as mandatory and optional
- Target completion period can be set optionally for courses. It will be helpful for to track the long term goals. Target completion period is entered as a number of days. When a learner subscribes to the learning path, the number of days is converted to a date calculated from the subscription date.
- Notifications can be configured to inform learners before target completion date
- Visibility of Learning Path in Learners view is controlled through start and end dates
- Administrator can view all catalog objects until deletion
- Additional competencies can be set in addition to competencies that already exist at individual courses level
- Learner access can be configured for Learning Path
Learning Path Anatomy
Section is a logical group which may contain one or more courses. It is mandatory for a learning path to have at least one section. For each section, mandatory and optional courses be set as per business requirement. Order of display of sections can be set if there is any specific requirement to show them to learners.
Types of Sections in a Learning Path
All Components Mandatory
In this types of section, the learner must complete all courses in the section.
All Components Optional
In this types of section, all courses are optional. Its up to learner either to enroll in one or more, or in none of the courses.
One or More Components Mandatory
In this types of section, we can configure the number of courses that a learner must complete. Its upto learner to elect the courses as per his / her choice and need.
There is a validation that ensures that at least one section must have a mandatory component. Therefore, you cannot create a section of type All Components Optional section as the first section of a learning path. If you subsequently create additional mandatory sections, you can make the first section optional.
Once a learner has achieved the required completion criteria of all sections in a learning path, It is marked as Completed.
As explained earlier that section is a logical group to contain courses. These courses are called components of Learning Path. These courses already a part of the catalog structure. Target completion period can be set for each component separately.
Note: If you specify a period for one component that is greater than the period set for the learning path, the application updates the target completion period for the learning path to match the longest individual component period.
Subscription and Enrollment
It is very important to understand the concept and difference of enrollment and subscription. In simple words, Subscription is related to Learning Path and Enrollment is related to components.
By subscribing to a learning path, a learner is not automatically enrolled in any of the component’s classes. Learners have to specifically search for offerings and classes for each of the components they wish to attend.
Likewise, when learners unsubscribe from a learning path, they are not unenrolled from the component classes. Learners can un enroll from individual classes.
Learning paths have no effect on enrollment or learner access. Learners require access to the individual components in order to enroll in a class, whether or not the learners have access to the learning path. Application also facilitates you to automatically enroll learners in classes when you subscribe learners to a learning path.
A catalog object that offers learners the opportunity to subscribe to and complete one-time and renewable certifications.
The learning certification is primarily a container for a logical grouping of existing courses, with added attributes such as renewability and deadlines.
Properties of Learning Certificates:
- Certifications do not duplicate their component courses
- Start and End dates are available to control the appearance to Learner View
- Administrator can view all catalog objects until deletion
- Learner access can be configured for Learning Certificatation
- Competencies can be linked with a certification, in addition to competencies that already exist at the individual course level
- Certification can be Renewable or Unrenewable
- Certification Validity Period can also be configured
- Based on date
- Based on number of Days
- Workflow notification are sent on following events
- When a Learner Subscribes
- When a Learner UnSubscribes
- When certification is due for completion
Learning Certification Anatomy
These are individual courses which we include in a certification. In order to achieve a certification, Learner must complete classes for all components (courses) which are included in a certification. Order of components in which it should appear to a learner can be configured .
Learning Certification Statuses
There are two types of statuses that are used in OLM for variety of purposes like workflow notifications management, controlling the security and access of data. These status are as follows
- Subscription Status
- Period Status
Following are default subscription statuses:
- Waiting for Approval–the learner has attempted to subscribe and is waiting for a required approval
- Subscribed–the learner has successfully subscribed
- Concluded–the learner has completed the component courses but the certification is not yet verified
- Certified–the learner has completed the certification
- Unsubscribed–the learner has cancelled a subscription
- Expired–the certification has passed its end date and cannot be completed
- Rejected–the learner’s manager (or other approver) has declined the subscription attempt
Period statuses apply only to renewable certifications, and work with subscription statuses to provide a clearer picture of the state of a subscription.
- Active–the learner is subscribed and has renewed or can renew their subscription for the current period
- Completed–the learner has successfully finished the certification for the current period
- Inactive–a subscribed learner cannot currently renew or complete a renewed certification, usually because the renewal period has ended, a component course is unavailable, or the learner is not enrolled in any classes that complete the current certification
- Cancelled–the learner has cancelled their subscription for the current period
Forums and Chats
Forums and chats option is provided in OLM to facilitates and maintain the relationship of learners among themselves as well with instructor.
A forum is a message board that learners and instructors can use to post general learning topics for discussion.
Chats enable quick and easy online communication between learners and instructors. Forums and chats can be created at following two levels.
- At Category Level, for a particular category
- At Class Level, for a particular class
Forums and Chats created at Category Level
Main purpose to create forums and chats at category level is encourage participation in general subject areas beyond learners enrolled in a specific class. Learner access can be defined at forums and chats level.
Properties of Category Forums and Chats
- Such forums and chats can be viewed from learners home page
- Enables the subscribed learners to exchange online messages with other learners in a chat
- Learners can Post public topics and messages to subscribed category forums otherwise if not subscribed, they can only view the messages
- Enables the learners to search for or drill down a category to locate and subscribe to category forums and chats
Forums and Chats created at Class Level
Properties of Class Forums and Chats
- Learners can exchange queries on the class subject area with instructors
- Learners can exchange queries on the class subject area with other learners enrolled in the class
- Supports both public and private messages
- Administrator can send message to any specific learner
- Instructor usually serves as moderator of class forums and chats
Once a learner is enrolled in a class, he can participate in the class forums and chats from his learner interface provided that Learning Admin has created class forums and chats option for class in which the learner is enrolled. Likewise instructors can access through their instructor self service interface.
Note: In case an instructor is not available to serve as moderator, you can book a separate moderator
(using resource type Trainer or Others) if required. Users booked as moderators can log in to the instructor interface to moderate the forums and chats
A Web conference is a live class delivered by an instructor to learners over the Web.
You use Web conferences to deliver online synchronous classes, and to record these classes for on demand playback. OLM integrates with Oracle Web Conferencing (OWC) to deliver online synchronous classes over the Web.
To host online synchronous classes, you must set up a conference server that integrates your application with the OWC server.
You can create a Web conference for an online synchronous class after you have set up a conference server in the application. This Web Conference link is visible on the Class page only if you have at least one conference server set up in the application.
If have like contents in this post and you think it can be helpful to others, please share it at least once in your circle, in this way, you will join me in my cause to Learn Share and Grow. Come on, Lets Grow Together.
Free Online Test
Solved Issued of Empty Email Notification
Steps for creating custom form in Oracle Apps
How to create backend logging mechanism
Useful Apps SQL Queries Pool
Top 10 Apps Technical Interview Questions